GENERAL DESCRIPTIONTOPAS ® is the trade name of family of cyclic olefin copolymer (COC) resins from TOPAS Advanced Polymers. Topas COCs are made from ethylene and norbornene and can be tailored to exhibit a wide range of heat deflection temperatures (HDT) with a practical upper limit of 340°F (170°F). It is an amorphous transparent copolymer possessing a cyclic olefin structure. The high purity and absence of ionic content in these materials provide high insulation resistance and very low dielectric loss. They also have excellent chemical resistance to aqueous acids and bases and to most polar solvents.
TOPAS is recognized as a resin with optical properties comparable with PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate, acrylic resin), superior heat resistance to PC (polycarbonate), and superior dimensional stability to both PMMA and PC. Topas COCs have a very high moisture barrier, low water absorption, good resistance to hydrolysis and chemical media, and low density. In addition, they typically offer high transparency extending into the UV range, low birefringence, adjustable heat deflection temperature and high rigidity.
* NOTE *
At this time, crystal clear Topas COC is available in 2-1/2 inch diameter round
rod stock ONLY. Please contact us for recommended machining parameters.
NOTE: We do NOT sell Topas in resin, pellet, or powder forms,
but we will provide that contact information upon request.
Examples of applications for Topas ® COC plastics include films for pharmaceutical and personal health care blister packs, food packaging, medical syringes and vials, diagnostic articles, optical lenses, light guides, and optical sensors. NOTE: All Topas grades are approved for food contact in Europe (EU Plastics Directive 2002/72/EC) and the USA (FDA 21CFR § 177.1520 "Olefin polymers").
AVAILABLE TOPAS COC GRADESThe following Topas COC grades are available:
- Topas 8007S-04 has high moisture barrier properties which make it especially suitable for healthcare applications and pharmaceutical packaging. It has the lowest moisture permeability and lowest heat deflection temperature (167°F / 75°C) of all Topas grades.
- Topas 8007X10 was developed with superior transparency in the UltraViolet (UV) range of the electromagnetic spectrum. As a result, it is most suitable for UV transparent applications such as DNA analytical micro titer plates or cuvettes.
- Topas TKX-0001 is specifically designed for use in optical components or other applications where very high surface quality is desired. Its mechanical properties are somewhat higher than other Topas grades, though its temperature capabilities are in the mid-range with a heat deflection temperature of 260°F (127°C).
- Topas 6015S-04 has good temperature capability with a heat deflection temperature of 320°F (160°C). It is most suitable for products requiring dimensional stability due to repeated sterilization or temperature cycles, such as medical trays or instruments.
- Topas 6017S-04 has the highest heat deflection temperature (338°F / 170°C) of all Topas grades. It also has excellent dielectric properties which are stable into the GHz frequency range, making it suitable for electrical and electronic applications.